Friday, February 27, 2009

Update on Harper

Harper had her tubes as well as her tongue clipped yesterday. Both went well, and she was much less fussy than I had expected. Today she is completely normal as if neither ever happened.
Unfortunately, we did get some unexpected news. During the brain scan hearing test they found that she has significant hearing loss unrelated to the ear infections. Her right ear can't hear normal conversations, but can hear slightly louder sounds. Her left ear is much worse--they only found hearing at a level slightly below a jet engine. There is no cure or surgical fix; the hearing loss is permanent. The only recommendation is for her to be fitted for hearing aids for both ears.

The ENT is sending Harper for lots of bloodwork and CT scan or MRI to rule out structural abnormalities, tumors, or anything else that would cause the hearing loss. We have an appointment on March 3 at the HEAR Center at Children's Hospital to do more hearing tests and get fitted for the hearing aids. We also have to go to a genetic specialist at UAB to see if there is some sort of chromosomal issue. She will also have to see a physical therapist, speech therapist, and eye specialist.

Obviously, Luke and I are having a very hard time adjusting to all of this news. Pray that we will be positive and not have a bad attitude about this situation. I am also praying that at her appointment Tuesday the tests will show that the hearing loss won't be as bad as they once thought. God still can work miracles.

7 comments:

Ericalyn said...

My heart definately goes out to you. I will pray for your family and situation. She is still so young and God willing there could be improvements. On a positive note, we have several children at our school with hearing aids who are leading perfectly normal lives. As a parent I know this news doesn't help but please find consolation in knowing we will be here for you every step of the way. Thank you for including us in this endevor and remember we will pray for you as well as do anything else you can think of that will help. Call me if you just need to talk or cry. I can imagine how scared you must be. I will pray for your strength and courage as well to be able to handle this and do what's best for Harper! Let us know how things go as you are updated.

Tiffaney said...

Katie and Luke
I hate to hear that but you are right, nothing is set in stone and God works miracles everday. I will definitely keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if we can do anything.

Jeana and Brandon Lively said...

Katie,
From a mom of a daughter with tubes, I can say I know a little of what you are going threw. But I can also say that we serve an
awsome God and I pray that all test come back with little or no damage on tuesday (Doctor can be wrong).

Audrey said...

Katy, you are right, God still works miracles :) I love you and your family very much and I am sharing all your emotions and the words you are praying as much as I know how as your sister in Christ.

I heard the other day the best intercession we can hope from a prayer partner is that they love our child as much (and sometimes more - teens! - as we do)so I am focusing on that.

Remember - deep breath, one day (or hour) at a time, pray and petition with thanksgiving.

If it helps with all the questions, one of my closest friends has a son with a processor - she is just 5 years or less out from the procedure so if you ever want to pick her brains, she knows all the ins and outs and is happy to share and encourage as much as you want.

Tracie said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. Thanks for including us by informing us of what you are going through. As a parent, my heart goes out to you and Luke. When my children are sick, I ache with them. And I feel the same way about this with Harper. I am lifting you and Luke and Harper up in prayer and will be with you every step of the way. It is just like Audrey said, I am in this with you! Just take everything one day at a time through the tests and doctor appts. And when you have moments that you are scared, just try to think about how many prayers are going up with Harper's name on them! God is still in the miracle business! And whatever the outcome, your precious testimony will be so much richer for seeing how God strengthens you and your family through all that lies ahead. I love you all and pray for healing for Harper; courage for you and Luke; and peace for your entire family. Please keep us posted as you find out more.

Jeannie and Greg Sandlin said...

Katy we truely do serve an AWESOME God!! He puts thing in our lives to make us stronger in our faith in him. I feel that everything that happens in our lives happen for that reason...we may not have any idea what he has planned for Harper but, He does and I know that He has Great Things in store for her. I am praying for him to heal her little ears but, if that is not his will, I am so thankful that he has placed Harper in your life. She is a very lucky liitle girl to have two wonderful parents that will not stop until she has the best care and treatments possible. Please know that even though we have only known ya'll for a few months we really think of you as friends and love your family very much. Please keep us updated and call me if you NEED ANYTHING and I truely mean that.
Your Sister in Crist,
Jeannie

Unknown said...

Just wanted you to know that I am praying for you all as you go to your appointments tomorrow. I know how scary all those specialists and doctors are. Zeke says to tell Harper that God is still in the miracle business!!! We love you guys!