Monday, November 2, 2009

Smoking Turkeys/Hams

I just want to update everyone on the idea of smoking some meat for Thanksgiving.
We are in the process of contacting US Food Service regarding the cost of the turkey/ham, etc. Since yesterday, we have found out that the meat wont be safe until the holiday if we sell them on Saturday before Thanksgiving. Cooked turkey wont keep that long from what I "googled" on the internet. We will have to figure out a way to smoke them on Tuesday and have them ready to sell on Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

We are still in the "figuring out" stages and I will keep everyone updated as we find out more. We were thinking that we might bring the smokers to our house and Alan & I can tend to them overnight Tuesday night if others will be available to sell them on Wednesday. Just not sure. (That might not be do-able either, b/c how would we transport that hot meat back to Jasper???)

If anyone has any ideas, please share!! This seems like such a good idea & a great way to raise funds!! But then again...God has to open doors for us....and He will if it's His will!

Love you all :)
~Tracie

2 comments:

Audrey said...

I don't deal with "whole birds" in my foodservice experiences so let me dig around at work tomorrow for suggestions. In general "leftovers" are safe for 7 days (we used to be told just 3-4 days) but that might differ from a whole turkey.

Audrey said...

oh and if you want me to check our SYSCO price let me know, although US Foods is usually cheaper.