Friday, March 20, 2009

Update on Joe

Hey everyone!

I talked with Joe's mom earlier this evening and his aunt called me to further update a little while ago. He had an MRI earlier which confirmed that he had a stroke. That was what happened yesterday morning. He is off the vent completely and doing fine without that. He seems to be able to move all of his extremities, which is great. His speech is slurred and hard to understand, but they aren't sure how much might be from the vent and the sedation from the MRI. The swelling and the fluid are better today I think. He is responsive. His mom said he looks at her when she asks him to and squeezes her hand. From what I understand the stroke was somewhat minor, but I am not sure how much it affected him. He is still pretty critical, so keep those prayers up! The family is so very grateful for all the prayers and concern. Remember to also keep his mom and dad, Cynthia and Bruce, in our prayers also. Cynthia was very upset when we talked. They are staying at a hotel close by the hospital. She said a lot of family is there and everything is taken care of at the house here. I am not sure as far as money, but we all know how exspensive hotels, food, etc. can become. If the stay becomes extended, maybe we could help out in some way. She said prayer is what they need most right now. I will update as I find out more.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I talked with Shawn Doss a few hours ago. He had spoken to Joe's aunt earlier. She said he is doing better. They were able to remove one of the drainage tubes. His speech is still slurred, but he is talking. They aren't sure exactly how it has affected him. They are doing several tests tomorrow and will hopefully know a little more. Everyone seems very optimistic. I think they have started some rehab of some sort.....no idea what type. There is a chance he might get to go to a regular room soon. Pray that God will continue to strengthen Joe as he recovers. Total recovery from a stroke is possible......which anything is possible with God. The fact that I am typing this now is proof! Keep praying!

Alan said...

How's Joe doing this week?