Reading Ericalyn's post reminded me of something Nancy and I were discussing one Sunday. She was telling me how the Lord has really been speaking to her about mentoring, she said he's been persistent that it is something she needs to do and she doesn't know how or where to begin. Not like an Apples of Gold type program, but something very based in Bible study, etc. - something for deep spiritual growth. I'd told her I'd let her know if I had any ideas - we were just about to start the women's group so I knew finding time would be an even greater challenge and I didn't know if anyone else had an interest in that.
From personal experience, in college I "mentored" an eighth grader...and at some point I decided to find someone to mentor me - I asked our church secretary - she was in her early 70's and it was a wonderful, wonderful time. We met every Friday at her home and ate lunch and had Bible Study, prayer, and accountability type discussions. It wasn't anything planned or structured but it worked out so cool - I was mentoring a younger woman, and I in turn was being mentored by an older woman. I loved it. Oh, and we also had a class one time where we had different women from the church (elders wives, etc.) come give their testimony, talk about the challenges they had been through, answer our questions...they actually sat in a chair and we were all sitting in the floor like we always did in that class and it made it even sweeter - it probably sounds cheesy but it was so fun.
I know we don't have that kind of time but I think that is a really need way of joining generations and carrying out Titus 2. Just looking at Nancy, for example, I could learn so much from her - she's a minister's wife, a missionary, she's successfully raise 3 boys, she is a cancer survivor - imagine the experience and wisdom there! (If we do start something I've got dibs, haha).
As much as I love you guys :) it seems we are all usually in the same boat with the same questions just sort of looking at each other in confusion, haha. So I don't know what to do with it either but I told her I'd pass it on so I'm putting it out there for everyone to mull over. Sorry this is long...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
We were talking about that the other night at the meeting too. Some of us had mentioned the idea of mentoring. I think that is a wonderful idea too. I would LOVE to have someone to look up to that could answer alot of questions for me. Especially someone like Nancy (or Nancy herself, I'm sure she could take in 2 of us! :)Like many others, I was not raised in a christian home and I personally, have alot of questions on how things are supposed to work in terms of biblical standards. Someone else had mentioned about mentoring our husbands :) on how to step up and be the head of family and the family's spiritual leader. Not sure how the husbands think about this, but I guess it was just us girls talking.
I think poor Nancy is gonna be busy!! I would love and really need that. I'm sure that most of us would agree. Let's start praying about it and let God show us where to start. I think we tend to plan and talk about things to much sometimes. I'm ready!
I was a part of something like this in college. We had a discipleship group of around 5 women. Each week we met together for bible study, accountability, prayer. Then once a week we met with the discipleship leader for some one-on-one stuff. It allowed us to really dig deep and learn from someone who really had herself together.
Just a thought. What if you invited a few of the women that you are talking about to be part of your weekly ladies group. Ann Cook and Mary Cordes had expressed some interest in participating also. Julie Gates would be another asset if she has time.
do you all feel that God is moving within our group. All of our desires are the same- we want a revival within ourselves and within our church. I know that I have been frustrated with the lack of support from the older group but maybe it is b/c God wants to work through us! Just a thought.
I guess we can discuss this further, then, at our next Women's Group!
I think that this is an amazing idea! I am very interested in a mentoring/disciplship program. Like many of you have stated, I had a "spiritual mentor" after Steve and I got married. It was an amazing opportunity where I grew so much! I also really like Audrey's idea of developing a relationship with a younger girl. I know our high school and college girls would really benefit from the personal relationship and teaching that comes through discipleship. These girls need Godly women to model a life filled with Christ's love and purpose. I know this would be such a blessing for all three women involved.
I would love to be a part of this!
Post a Comment